Yesterday, I landed in Milan and ran straight from the airport straight to the Gucci show. Milano Moda Donna is a market editor’s dream, showcasing not only amazing runway shows like Prada and Fendi but presentations from some of my favourite footwear brands, including Church’s and Jimmy Choo. Here’s what I packed for Milan, and what I’m really looking forward to seeing.
1. A great coat is a must-have for the February shows, although the weather in Europe will be milder than it has been in New York. I’m still thinking about the standout Fall 2013 Carven collection, and whether I should invest in one of the brand’s colourful and cozy toppers. Carven coat, $800,
2. Even if you’re not BFFs with Tommy Ton or Scott Schuman, good accessories are still a must for the shows. Costume jewelry adds a touch of colour to my mostly-black wardrobe, and flatform shoes are on-trend but still comfortable enough for 16-hour days. J. Crew necklace, $150, . Marni shoes, $1230, .
3. Last season, I looked on enviously as fellow editors took better, clearer runway photos at every show. Luckily, I’ve since upgraded to the , and that will mean fewer blurry shots in my social media feeds!
4. Food is an essential part of the European shows, and I’m looking forward to fun dinners with Canadian editors and friends. My favourites? A Santa Lucia and Al Cantinone, both cozy Italian spots just a stone’s throw from the Hotel De La Ville and the Duomo. .
5. I didn’t make it to the bar at last season, but am hoping to remedy the oversight this time around. It’s a fashion industry favourite for people-watching and catching up with old friends.
6. Fun parties are a guarantee almost every night in Milan. So far I have the opening of the largest Roberto Cavalli store in the world and cocktails at the Prada store on Via Montenapoleone on my calendar.
7. , Flare’s long-time fashion week (month, really) photographer is based in Milan and one of the highlights for me last September was meeting her for the first time. I can’t wait to see the amazing photos Anthea and her team will take for us this season!
7. Between shows, presentations, resees and press meetings, here’s not much free time for anything, believe it or not! But if I do find a break between appointments, I want to go back to the well-stocked, elegant Marni city outlet, which is just a short bus ride away from my hotel. Via Tajani, 1, 20133.
8. Liz Cabral, a fashion stylist and creative director (and my former boss at Flare!), tipped me off on . I plan to fill my suitcase with a few boxes on the way back to Toronto!
For more from behind the scenes and after the shows, follow me on Twitter ( and ) and Instagram (and )!